By Annie Tindley,Andrew Wodehouse
Read or Download Design, Technology and Communication in the British Empire, 1830–1914 PDF
Similar uk history books
This choice of essays honours David Fieldhouse, latterly Vere Harmsworth Professor of Imperial and Naval historical past at Cambridge and a ultimate authority at the economics of the trendy British Empire. The members contain a magnificent array of former scholars, colleagues, and neighbors, and their topics variety largely around the fiscal and administrative fields of British imperial historical past within the 19th and 20th centuries.
This e-book is an advent to the heritage of alcoholic drink in England from the top of the center a while to the current day. Treating the topic thematically, it covers who drank, what they drank, how a lot, who produced and offered drink, the locations the place it was once loved and the meanings which ingesting had for individuals.
David Crouch’s William Marshal, now in its 3rd version, depicts this exciting medieval determine as a ruthless opportunist, astute courtier, manipulative flesh presser and a brutal yet effective soldier. Born the fourth son of a minor baron, he ended his days as Earl of Pembroke and Regent of britain, and was once the single medieval knight to have a modern biography written approximately him.
This e-book employs a variety of views to illustrate how the East India corporation facilitated cross-cultural interactions among the English and diverse teams in South Asia among 1600 to 1857 and the way those interactions remodeled vital beneficial properties of either British and South Asian background.
- Selling Textiles in the Long Eighteenth Century: Comparative Perspectives from Western Europe
- English Students at Leiden University, 1575-1650: 'Advancing your abilities in learning and bettering your understanding of the world and state affairs'
- Elsie Chamberlain: The Independent Life of a Woman Minister (Gender, Theology and Spirituality)
- Archives of Authority: Empire, Culture, and the Cold War (Translation/Transnation)
- Empire and nation-building in the Caribbean: Barbados, 1937-66 (Studies in Imperialism)
Extra info for Design, Technology and Communication in the British Empire, 1830–1914