By Nicholas D Spencer
Man lubricates regularly with oil. Nature lubricates completely with water. natural water is a negative lubricant, however the addition of proteins, particularly glycoproteins, can regulate surfaces to lead them to way more lubricating at gradual speeds. knowing how nature does this, and the actual buildings concerned, isn't just very important for the knowledge of illnesses similar to osteoarthritis, but in addition crucial for the profitable software of articulating implants, akin to hips and knees, in addition to the advance of clinical units akin to catheters and phone lenses. a number of vital functions of water-based lubrication are already in position within the own care and nutrition industries, and extra business functions of water-based lubrication may have an important confident effect at the environment.
This ebook is the 1st of its sort. It brings jointly the most recent learn in organic and biomimetic, water-based lubrication and is authored by way of the world's specialists within the field.
- Tribology of ordinary Articular Joints (Rowena Crockett)
- Sticky and Slippery: Interfacial Forces of Mucin and Mucus Gels (Seunghwan Lee)
- Aqueous Lubrication and nutrients Emulsions (Jason R Stokes)
- Aqueous Lubrication in Cosmetics (Gustavo S Luengo, Anthony Galliano and Claude Dubief)
- Hydrogel Friction and Lubrication (Jian Liu and Jian Ping Gong)
- Aqueous Lubrication with Polymer Brushes (Suzanne Giasson and Nicholas D Spencer)
- Water-Like Lubrication of difficult Contacts through Polyhydric Alcohols (Jean Michel Martin and Maria Isabel De Barros-Bouchet)
- Aqueous Lubrication of Ceramics (Mitjan Kalin)
Readership: educational and business tribologists, fabrics scientists, biomechanics pros, and physicists and chemists with an curiosity in tribology.
Read Online or Download Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series) PDF
Similar textiles & polymers books
Even though polypropylene has been advertised because the Fifties, study and improvement during this region continues to be full of life. The intake of polypropylene through the years has been really excessive, ordinarily as a result of regular development of its estate profile. Polypropylene: buildings, Blends and Composites, in 3 separate volumes, displays at the key components that have contributed to the luck of polypropylene, facing all elements of structure-performance relationships suitable to thermoplastic polymers and similar composites.
One of the a number of new instructions in smooth polymer technology, the layout and research of liquid crystal (LC) polymers were those starting to be such a lot actively and fruitfully. despite that, the prospective formation of an anisotropic LC section was once basically validated theoretically for the 1st time within the Fifties via Onsager  and Flory , after which experimentally demonstrated within the reviews with polypeptides options.
Chromogenic fabrics swap their optical homes in keeping with an exterior stimulus. because of their strength functions as mild valve (e. g. , in sunlight preserving glazing) or as temperature sensor, thermotropic, and thermochromic fabrics have come progressively more into the point of interest of study and improvement.
Databook of Preservatives comprises facts for preservatives for items in the course of delivery and garage, movie preservatives, wooden preservatives, fiber, leather-based, rubber and polymerized fabrics preservatives, building fabric preservatives, preservatives for liquid cooling and processing platforms, slimicides, and slicing fluid preservatives.
- Studies on "Perfect" Hyperbranched Chains Free in Solution and Confined in a Cylindrical Pore (Springer Theses)
- High Performance Natural Fiber-Nanoclay Reinforced Cement Nanocomposites (SpringerBriefs in Molecular Science)
- Roadmap to Sustainable Textiles and Clothing: Eco-friendly Raw Materials, Technologies, and Processing Methods (Textile Science and Clothing Technology)
- In-situ Small-Angle X-ray Scattering Investigation of Transient Nanostructure of Multi-phase Polymer Materials Under Mechanical Deformation (Springer Theses)
Extra resources for Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series)