By Donald Winford
- Provides a finished advent to the sphere of touch linguistics.
- Examines quite a lot of language touch phenomena from either common linguistic and sociolinguistic perspectives.
- Offers an account of present techniques to all the significant forms of contact-induced change.
- Discusses the final procedures and ideas which are at paintings in circumstances of contact.
Read or Download An Introduction to Contact Linguistics (Language in Society) PDF
Similar linguistics books
This publication introduces crucial difficulties of reference and considers the suggestions which were proposed to give an explanation for them. Reference is on the centre of discussion between linguists and philosophers and, as Barbara Abbott exhibits, this has been the case for hundreds of years. She starts by means of studying the elemental factor of ways some distance reference is a position (words-world) or a 3 position (speakers-words-world) relation.
Translation has a protracted heritage in China. Down the centuries translators, interpreters, Buddhist priests, Jesuit clergymen, Protestant missionaries, writers, historians, linguists, or even ministers and emperors have all written approximately translation, and from an grand array of views. Such an exhilarating variety of perspectives, reflections and theoretical wondering the artwork and company of translating is now introduced jointly in a two-volume anthology.
For plenty of writers writing in English this day, English is yet considered one of a few languages, and by way of extension cultures, to which they've got entry. The query arises of the effect of this occasionally latent, occasionally particular, multilingualism on commonly used and different literary varieties and conventions. To what quantity is English literature this day a literature in translation within the feel that it truly is shaped on the confluence of other literary and cultural traditions and is mediated or brokered through multilingual contributors?
Quotative marking in glossy English is a hugely dynamic area which has been present process innovative enlargement, with newcomer editions, significantly quotative be like, coming into the scene and restructuring the whole approach. provided that this selection is being placed foward via the more youthful new release in native-speaker groups, the an important query is, How do more youthful audio system dwelling in numerous components of the non-Anglophone international applicable this option of their L2 English?
- Sociocultural Situatedness: Volume 2 (Cognitive Linguistics Research [CLR])
- Researching Translation and Interpreting
- The Politics of National Languages in Postcolonial Senegal
- A Philosophy of Second Language Acquisition (Yale Language Series)
- Milton and Toleration
Additional resources for An Introduction to Contact Linguistics (Language in Society)