By Martin Hewitt
Read or Download An Age of Equipoise? Reassessing mid-Victorian Britain PDF
Best uk history books
This number of essays honours David Fieldhouse, latterly Vere Harmsworth Professor of Imperial and Naval heritage at Cambridge and a most popular authority at the economics of the fashionable British Empire. The individuals comprise a magnificent array of former scholars, colleagues, and neighbors, and their topics variety extensively around the fiscal and administrative fields of British imperial heritage within the 19th and 20th centuries.
This booklet is an advent to the heritage of alcoholic drink in England from the top of the center a long time to the current day. Treating the topic thematically, it covers who drank, what they drank, how a lot, who produced and bought drink, the locations the place it was once loved and the meanings which consuming had for individuals.
David Crouch’s William Marshal, now in its 3rd variation, depicts this interesting medieval determine as a ruthless opportunist, astute courtier, manipulative baby-kisser and a brutal yet effective soldier. Born the fourth son of a minor baron, he ended his days as Earl of Pembroke and Regent of britain, and was once the single medieval knight to have a modern biography written approximately him.
This booklet employs a variety of views to illustrate how the East India corporation facilitated cross-cultural interactions among the English and numerous teams in South Asia among 1600 to 1857 and the way those interactions reworked very important positive aspects of either British and South Asian heritage.
- Victorian Scientific Naturalism: Community, Identity, Continuity
- Juvenile Nation: Youth, Emotions and the Making of the Modern British Citizen, 1880-1914
- A History of England, Volume 1: Prehistory to 1714
- Bishops, Clerks, and Diocesan Governance in Thirteenth-Century England
- Early Medieval Studies in Memory of Patrick Wormald (Studies in Early Medieval Britain and Ireland)
- Becoming Centaur: Eighteenth-Century Masculinity and English Horsemanship (Animalibus: Of Animals and Cultures)
Extra resources for An Age of Equipoise? Reassessing mid-Victorian Britain