By N. J. G. Pounds
Read Online or Download A History of the English Parish: The Culture of Religion from Augustine to Victoria PDF
Best uk history books
This selection of essays honours David Fieldhouse, latterly Vere Harmsworth Professor of Imperial and Naval background at Cambridge and a premiere authority at the economics of the trendy British Empire. The participants comprise a magnificent array of former scholars, colleagues, and acquaintances, and their topics diversity extensively around the fiscal and administrative fields of British imperial heritage within the 19th and 20th centuries.
This e-book is an advent to the heritage of alcoholic drink in England from the top of the center a long time to the current day. Treating the topic thematically, it covers who drank, what they drank, how a lot, who produced and bought drink, the locations the place it was once loved and the meanings which consuming had for individuals.
David Crouch’s William Marshal, now in its 3rd version, depicts this fascinating medieval determine as a ruthless opportunist, astute courtier, manipulative baby-kisser and a brutal yet effective soldier. Born the fourth son of a minor baron, he ended his days as Earl of Pembroke and Regent of britain, and used to be the single medieval knight to have a modern biography written approximately him.
This publication employs quite a lot of views to illustrate how the East India corporation facilitated cross-cultural interactions among the English and numerous teams in South Asia among 1600 to 1857 and the way those interactions remodeled vital good points of either British and South Asian historical past.
- The Men's Share?: Masculinities, Male Support and Women's Suffrage in Britain, 1890-1920
- The ‘Estranged’ Generation? Social and Generational Change in Interwar British Jewry
- Narrative Projections of a Black British History (Routledge Approaches to History)
- Arguing about Empire: Imperial Rhetoric in Britain and France, 1882-1956
- Representing Irish Religious Histories: Historiography, Ideology and Practice (Histories of the Sacred and Secular, 1700-2000)
Extra resources for A History of the English Parish: The Culture of Religion from Augustine to Victoria